Sometimes you may have appropriate access to the student work folder, but learn that you cannot add the required in-line comments for some students because their work is "view only."
This sometimes happens when student work is added to the folder late and happens to have more restricted permissions than the rest of the work in the folder. Unfortunately this can be somewhat hard to troubleshoot. Here's what we recommend:
- First, make sure you are definitely in the correct Google account and that this does not impact all students. Do you have access to the work?
- If you are sure that only some students are view-only, you can try hitting "request access" on individual assignments. This can be a little time-consuming if several students are affected. Send the teacher a message explaining that you do not have comment access for some students, and include a list of their names if possible. The teacher may be able to help you gain access.
- If you realize there's a problem too late to gain access or if you do not hear back from the teacher or receive access in time to complete grading, notify us that there's a problem. Sometimes we recommend one of two routes as a solution, depending on the number of students impacted:
- Making summary feedback extra detailed for the students in question
- Making a copy of the student work in the same folder and commenting there, then letting the teacher know you have done so. This is not ideal as students do not usually have immediate access to your comments, but it can work in a pinch!
We recommend that you always check student work early to get ahead of issues like this when you can.